Monday 23 January 2012

*UPDATE* MONDAY JANUARY 23, 2012


Logan's Letter

  This week, the Letter takes a more casual route.  I began the week by collecting small pieces of news and stories to report on, with the full intention of renewing my weekly addition to the online world.  I was going to report on some political crap that I have nothing vested in, or maybe that one of our fellow Albertans (providing you are reading this from within Alberta) have won the 6/49 for a cool $25000000.  I was going to write the word million, but so many zeroes just makes it that much more fun.  (If by random chance you as the reader were the lottery winner, or just have a ton of money in general, remember your good old buddy Logan, who has a fancy for a large V8 Nissan Titan.)

  As with many of you I'm guessing, I have been pretty wrapped up in my own life lately.  Not anything bad, just busy.  I do not want to use it as an excuse, but writing is a passion and a hobby both for me, and sometimes I need to just let myself off the hook for a bit.  I apologize for not writing, but at the same time it was necessary.  To write the average previous column, it would take 3-4 hours a session, and I had to work around the silly fact that I had no internet at my apartment.  Perhaps worst of all, following the format that I had set for myself, I found myself not looking forward to writing some articles.  That is bad news.

  Ever have trouble looking at the big picture?  Me too.  I have been told I can easily draw people in with my words.  I have been given compliments about the sincerity and the emotion in my poetry.  I have acknowledged that people may benefit from my words somehow in ways I may not understand.  Like many others, I sometimes find it tough to accept that maybe there is something more than what I see.  So here is my plan. I'm no longer following agenda.

 I began seriously writing in high school.  True, I often skipped class to go write, whether out of boredom or because it allowed me to cope with the depression I struggled with.  I had no storyline, no basis to follow.  It was pure creativity, and it manifested in a surprising way.  I often looked back at the lengthy piece that I wrote that day, and found myself not remembering writing it.  A story that I was telling was breaking out of me, and while it was raw and lacked structure, the story started to tell itself.  I have had this story developing within me for 9 years, and while I still feel unprepared to write it, I still want to become submersed in that same feeling.  My story builds in my mind and grows, and one day will be written.  For now, I am focusing on writing from within.  My writing, when I write with full flow and power, teaches me and leads me.  It is oddly intuitive.  For the longest time this was most likely the most at peace with myself I had ever been.

  I had the goal of building a sort of "portfolio" with this column.  Now, I want to just make it more personal.  I will simply be writing what I want to that week.  It will likely have much of the same content, just less structure.

  I appreciate you all.
  Logan.


P.S.  I would like to congratulate all those who are representing Calgary in the National Open.  The 20 game qualifying tournament was this past weekend and we will have great teams bowling in our name.  Good Luck at Provincials!!!

P.P.S.  Sharks, stop losing to the Canucks.

P.P.S.S.  Elfstones of Shannara review next week.  Have you started to read the Sword of Shannara yet??

No comments:

Post a Comment