Saturday 29 September 2012

*UPDATE* September 29/2012




  Hello folks.  I was originally going to throw some comments on here about the NHL lockout, because it is driving me absolutely nuts.  Given the fact that everyone is already discussing it, I will restrain myself, and discuss other events.  I went onto some local newspaper sites for some brief inspiration, and found myself drowning in stories of kidnappings, pedophiles and violence.  The only positive story I found in my cursory overlook was about a Lethbridge boy who returned a McDonald's employees lost wallet without taking money from it first.  Now I must say, I know the world is not what it used to be.  I know that we are decades from the people that were founded on old fashioned values.  In fact, if I told someone they needed to "love thy neighbour" as it says in the old commandments, I would not be surprised to hear a response in the ballpark of "I can't, my wife would catch me."  But is it really so hard to find good people?  In a city of over one million people, how is it we have to travel to Lethbridge's fast food stops before we can encounter anything heartening?   I'll admit, I haven't been worthy of any awards lately for positive attitudes.  It's been a trying month and I accept that.  And in my powder keg of trouble, there are certain sparks, such as the guy in the caravan in front of me who was driving 40 clicks under the speed limit.  Don't worry speed racer, I don't think you exceeded the maximum allowed velocity.  (Let's not pretend that any of you are innocent in any of this either....until Jesus adds you as a friend on facebook, your all in the same bad-news sandbox as I am!)

  So in this world of increasing frustration, anxiety and an ever-increasing amount of idiots per capita, is there not a solution that could ease the tension around the nation?  Is there no way to allow the country to relax...to solidify all of us in a common bond that we can all agree upon?  Is there a magical way to unite us all, and if so, what would that be? Yes there is, and I will give you the answer.

  The answer is:  Hockey.  Swallow THAT, Bettman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


   Remember the band Default?  They had a couple of hits at the start of their career ("Wasting My Time" and "Taking My Life Away") and released a handful of hits following that.  While the entire band has considerable talent, their most notable asset is frontman Dallas Smith.  His peculiar voice carries a very unique set of tones and emotions, and you cannot claim to know the extent of this without hearing some very specific songs that are not radio hits.  To get the full extent of the power and intensity of this man, I would recommend searching on Youtube for one of two songs.
(Here you lazy bums, I'll pull up the links so there's a chance you'll listen.)
 "The Way We Were" or "Little Too Late".  The latter's chorus really rings for me, as it really showcases his hurt and passion and desperation, while the former is just an incredible song. 
  Anyways, to the point.  Default apparently went seperate ways or took a break or were eaten by sea monsters or whatever happens to bands after a while.  Now, I was so grateful this summer to finally get a working, reliable, wonderful car.  My first vehicle since my accident last year, I was delighted to turn on my radio a couple of weeks back to hear a familiar voice, on my country station.

  Dallas Smith has joined the long list of musicians who "went country" as Alan Jackson would say.  He joins a long list of people, who's names include Jewel, Jessica Simpson, Jimmy Buffett, Darius Rucker (From Hootie and the Blowfish), Jerry Lee Lewis, Julio Inglesias, Ray Charles, Lionel Richie, Tom Jones, The Eagles and Bon Jovi.  Now, I pray most of you country haters have gotten over your naive thinking which suggests country music revolves around losing your truck and dog and girlfriend, etc.  I actually have yet to hear a song discuss losing these three things.  Country music is evolving and changing, and here is living proof. 

  Dallas Smith's newest single and title track to his album is @#!$%& fantastic.  I cannot get enough.  It is titled "Jumped Right In" and I just want to personally congratulate Dallas on a successful transfer to country music.  His album is considered country, but has a large "Defaulty-feel" to it.  If you would like to hear the song, the official video is here.  (All credit goes to Dallas Smith and original writers of the song, along with creators of the music video.)  The song is pretty casual and reminiscent, focusing less on edge and more on the feeling of remembering days back then.  Days that were less full and more meaningful. Hope you find it enjoyable. 

  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Anyone auditioning for Big Brother Canada?  I am on the fence about putting in a submission.
Let me know if you are....Logan's Letter surged and is now at 500 hits....if you or someone else is on it, I can arrange with other columns and get some good exposure going.

  Or I can photoshop that person into Frank's Carrot Suit. 

Have a good one guys!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment