Wednesday 20 March 2013

ENTERTAINMENT IN 2013


 
                       Entertainment in 2013

  Hey there, guys! We are motoring through the new year, and before we get too much farther, I wanted to do a very quick piece on some of the top works to look forward to this year.  This year is bringing many huge projects to the big screen and I'm going to recap the ten I believe are the most important to see.  So take notes!

  Though it's not part of the list, it is important to note for readers that "Bloodfire Quest", the newest addition from Terry Brooks is now in store.  It is a  very exciting read, with roots that are buried in the Elfstones of Shannara and the High Druid Series. The finalizing sequel is due out this summer.   Diehard Shannara fans, you will not be disappointed.  As always, Brooks shines.

  Despite not being a huge gamer, I'm also pleased to announce that Starcraft 2-Heart of the Swarm is now currently available.   It breaks my heart that the incredible storyline embedded here is limited to video game players only. Heart of the swarm is simply amazing, especially when we become immersed and personalized with the Swarm, a ravenous, brutal race known as the Zerg.  In Starcraft, the sheer brutality and insectual expendability was truly a wonderful shift from the human aspect, but they were singularily portrayed with no deeper desire other than to kill at the whims of the Overmind.  With Heart of the Swarm, we will see a very heavy, humanistic, emotional influence that will be mixed with the animalistic instincts of the Zerg. The potential for this is overwhelming.  While there are novels out there that convey some of the storyline, it does not portray the betrayal and the notions of race that Starcraft has become so famous for. Heart of the Swarm also captures the iconic and beautiful love story between Sarah Kerrigan and Jim Raynor. Perhaps one day we shall see it on the big screen...maybe one day...
  On to the article.

#10. 
Oz: The Great and Powerful
 
  Coming in at tenth place is Oz: The Great and Powerful.  For most people, they would likely rank this one higher.  For me, I think that this movie by itself draws too heavily on the Wizard of Oz. The young cast of Mila Kunis and James Franco unfortunately must rely on the massively influential work of the original film.  While the movie is ultimately enjoyable and a visual achievement, the challenge for the actors lies in drawing their characters well enough that it not only will stand alone, but also will ultimately benefit "The Wizard of Oz" rather than taking away from it.  Still worth a look.
 
#9.  Kick-Ass 2
  For those who have not seen the original Kick-Ass, I will tell you that I was pleasantly suprised with this movie.  From the trailers, it seemed like a farsical superhero movie with unlikely candidates.  Upon watching the movie, I was pleased to see that the movie actually asks great personal questions regarding power and purpose, and presented a movie with a very dark edge rather than a goofy ten movie.  Toward the end, I was actually swept up with the plot and when the ending arrived with the cliffhanger, I vowed the sequel would be viewed with a much more open mind.  So here's keeping my promise.
 
#8. Hunger Games: Catching Fire
  If Kick-Ass 2 is to be watched with a more open mind, I daresay that Catching Fire will be more closeminded.  The first book/movie was more or less a success, with nods to Richard Connell's "The Most Dangerous Game".  My personal view of the books is one of overall satisfaction, with the exception of the third book.   It feels as though creativity was drying up, and with the growing trend of series writing, it became more important for the author to write another book than to create a valid ending of a story.  No doubt, the third movie of the set could actually benefit the book by capturing a much more visual and comprehensive story, but the third book alone is crap, and not very well written.  Catching Fire should be entertaining enough, and Hollywood can turn this good book into a formidable sequel.  So enjoy the second installment, and we'll see if it cannot salvage the third.
 
#7.  Percy Jackson: Sea of Mgonsters
  Although boasting a slightly more juvenile standpoint to Greek mythology, I was pleased with the first Percy Jackson movie, the story of a young boy who learns that he is the son of Poseidon, and strives to gain identity while solving a mystery. Perhaps it was because Sean Bean is Zeus...Nevertheless, I'm interested in seeing this sequel.  My wish is that the writers shed the light, comic air that plagued the first and tap into a heavier, dramatic aspect.
 
#6. Star Trek into Darkness
  Yes, I hate myself for this one.  I am a Star Wars fan, through and through.  I hate Star Trek, but I did see the first movie that came a few years back, and it was entertaining enough.  I concede to you, Trekkies, and I will watch your damn second movie...but let it be said that Star Wars and Stargate are far better in general.  I may boast an open mind, but not without drawing my line in the sand! 
 
#5. Iron Man 3
   Since the Avengers, it is safe to say we will likely be seeing much more Marvel in the future.  We are now squarely at their mercy.  Iron Man 3 is due out very soon, and to the credit of the writers, the trailer looks incredibly well done.  It may be less of the "Tony Stark" persona and may reach a much  more personal level with Downey's character building.  Regardless, if I were to guess, this newest movie is chosen for a reason: This movie should raise the stakes for the multitude of Marvel movies coming out, so they'll likely start their lineup with a bang.  Don't screw it up, Ant Man.
 
#4.  Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
   Ah, the milking of Tolkien's book "The Hobbit" should prove that we as a society are shameless.  I bet you have already seen the first one, and the general consensus is that most people were not even aware that the movie was only the first part of the book.  At least Harry Potter had the decency to say "Part One" and "Part Two" for their final pic.  As I seen this in theatre, the crowd groaned in agony as the credits rolled mid-story.  For this, I recommend that every one of those people read my column before seeing part two of the Hobbit.  Did you know that the Hobbit will also be a trilogy?  Now you have no excuse for being left high and dry with the Desolation of Smaug! 

  As for the movie, not much needs to be said.  As long as it is visually stunning and captivating as normal, the movie will have no troubles.  However, if I see any more of Frodo or anyone who is a remote doppelganger of Elijah Wood, heads will roll.
 
#3. Red 2
   Action movies are a dime a dozen.  As far as Bruce Willis is concerned, he will always be known for his roles in the Die Hard Saga.  However, I believe as an action star, Red does a much better job capturing our bald badass.  Assisted by Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren and John Malkovich, there is really so much room for success in "Red".  The first movie had excellent writing, and the comedy was incredibly subtle and witty.  With the second installment to be released, Red 2 can only be improved upon, and my recommendation is that you watch both.  And by recommend, I mean demand.  
 
#2. Despicable Me 2
  Alas, my guilty obsession will come true, and I shall take my place amongst mothers and school-deprived children this summer.  Despicable Me 2 is sure to be a blast, despite the fact that I know nothing about the plot.  I hear talks of aliens, but does it matter?  The minions will make this entire movie, so I really couldn't care how good or bad this movie is.  Papoi.
 
#1. Thor: The Dark Worlds
   Yes, another Marvel movie.  I believe that while the first Thor was visually impressive with the creation of Asgard and the BiFrost (the thing that looks scarily like Mariokart's Rainbow Road), the movie rushed to build the characters and it was a bit shaky.  The love story between Liam Hemsworth and Natalie Portman was lukewarm at best.  Thank god, or Thor, that Anthony Hopkins was there to save the day.  Thor: The Dark Worlds should be much better, since the movie will once again feature Thor and Loki, and will likely explore the actual story with greater detail.  Coming out in November, I place my bet on Thor 2 to capture the underdog crown this year.



*Movies in the running*
-After Earth featuring Will Smith-didn't make the list due to a less than impressive trailer.
-The Hangover Part 3-While I belong to the group that believes the second was better than the first, I also believe the third will not impress.  Where will they lose a friend now, outer space?
-World War Z-Did not make the cut due to Brad Pitt as the star.  Let's hope he gets eaten.  Go Zombieland
-Man of Steel-So many superheroes, so many superman movies.  Should be ok though. 
-The Wolverine-Ditto-There are too many Marvel movies already on the list, and this would be overkill.  It would be like capturing a Rattata with a master ball.
-Anchorman 2-Please, please, please do not suck.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment